How much is the fee of the Upper Mustang trek permit?
Upper Mustang Trek is one of the most expensive trekking in terms of the cost of trekking permit for foreigner tourist. The trek requires two different types of the permit, which are:
- Mustang restricted permit all nations including Indian: US$ 500 per person for the 10 days and USD 50 per additional day.
- ACAP (Annapurna Conservation Area Project Permit) US$ 27 or NPR 3000
- For SAARC Nation ACAP permit cost NPR 1,000 and TIMS NPR 200
- ACAP entry fee for a local tourist (Nepali nation) NPR 100
Do I need a TIMS card for Upper Mustang Trek?
Trekking Information Management System (TIMS) card is not necessary only if you doing Upper Mustang. As long as you hold a restricted trekking permit in Nepal, TIMS card isn’t required in any restricted trekking region in Nepal. (In 2019 If you are traveling via overland to the trailhead you are required to bring TIMS card as well) But it is always advisable to check in advance with your local company (Contact Us). For example, if you have a connecting trip after Mustang, such as Upper Dolpa trek, Everest region trek or any other region apart from Annapurna.
If you want to extend your trip to Annapurna Base Camp, Lower Mustang then TIMS card is compulsory. Especially after Mustang if you still want to continue your journey to Lower Mustang and would like to trek further Jomsom Muktinath, Annapurna Base Camp and end up at Pokhara then you must require having TIMS card. But the good news is you don’t have to buy again ACAP permit. The same permit you bought for Upper Mustang will valid for anywhere around Annapurna as long as you don’t exit the park.
Where can I get Upper Mustang trekking permit?
All restricted trekking permits including for the Upper Mustang the permit will be issued in the trekking department of the Nepal immigration office in Maitighar, Kathmandu. For your information, Nepal Tourism Board and TAAN don’t issue Mustang trekking permits, but other trekking permits such as ACAP, MCAP and Everest base camp permits are issued here.
Can I apply Myself?
This is a very important question that every traveler should know. Please note that individual trekkers are not allowed in Upper Mustang. The following requirements by the Nepal government to file the upper Mustang trekking permit:
- You are required to hire at least one authorized person from the local trekking agency, either a professional guide or a porter.
- Should be at least two people in one group (not including the guide or porter).
- You must file your special permit through an authorized local trekking agency.
What documents are required to issue the Mustang Trekking permit?
If you are able to meet the government requirements as discussed above, you should also provide these documents to your trekking agency in Nepal order to apply for your permit.
- Original passport with your Nepal entry visa with the arrival stamp.
- 3 passport size photos (if you have one online passport photo, you will only need 2 printed ID photo)
- Travel Insurance (Optional) that covers emergency evacuation up to 6000m.
- Of course, money
Can I apply in advance?
This completely depends on the local trekking company you choose and whether they are able to deal with the immigration staff. You should check in advance with your company (contact us) if this is possible. But in our company’s experience, we are able to issue the Upper Mustang trek permit in advance upon the request of our clients. Please be reminded, however, that this is also not under our control and will depend on who we might be dealing with in immigration or what your situation might be. The documents we require are:
- Clear scanned copy of passport
- Copy of Nepal visa obtained in advance from your country (In 2019 It is recommended but not compulsory)
- A copy of your return flight ticket that clearly shows your arrival and departure date.
It is understandable that this might be required due to the traveler’s required time frame. Other reasons could also be that the immigration office opening time and public holidays could affect your application. Note that the immigration office only opens from Sunday to Friday between 9 am to 5 pm. It is also closed during public holidays and Saturdays so it’s always a good idea to check in advance if you are arriving during holiday time.
If everything is on track and all requirements are complete, the Upper Mustang Trek special permit should be ready within a 2 to 3-hour timeframe. If you need to know anything apart from what we mentioned above, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are happy to give you additional information.