Kingdom of Lo, Upper Mustang is an isolated vicinity of Nepal. It is one of the most preserved places which is situated in the Mustang district of Gandaki. With three rural municipalities called Lo Manthang, Baragung Muktichhetra and Dalome, the local staying here have the influence of Tibetan culture and tradition, Tibetan language.
Upper Mustang Trek Nepal is one ideal destination for trekking within Nepal that belongs to the restricted region for trekking where we need a special restricted area permit to enter. It is famous for its deserted landscape and dusty terrain with uniquely shaped smooth hills. Development is an obvious process as there is a motor road connecting Jomsom and Lomangthang that has not to affect trekkers for Upper Mustang Trek Nepal as the number of trekkers had increased recently because of its own glory and beauty.
Still many of the trekkers are planning to visit Upper Mustang and are in the need of complete details. So without any delay, let us start “A complete guide for trekking to Upper Mustang”.
Highlights of Upper Mustang
- Fly into Jomson Airport, in the very heart of the Himalayas
- Enter a Forbidden Kingdom – something not many many have done
- Marvel at the high cliff dwellings and wonder who lived there
- Explore Lo-Manthang, home to ancient kings
- Encounter Buddhism and feel like you are in Tibet itself
- A photographers wonderland – from the arid cliffs to the snow-capped mountains
Facts of Upper Mustang
- Duration: 14 Days
- Accommodation: Normal Tea House and lodge
- Altitude Height: 3,840 meters from sea level
- Best time: All Seasons in Year / Best October / November
- Level: Moderate
- Trip Departure: March / April / October / November
- Activities: Driving / Flying / Trekking / Walking
- Mode of Travel: Flying / Trekking / Hiking
The route to trek Upper Mustang
Generally, Upper Mustang encompasses the drive to Pokhara which is followed by Flight from Pokhara to Jomsom from where the treks begin toward the Last forbidden kingdom. From there we Trek towards Kagbeni, then to Chele to Syangboche to Lo-Manthang to Chhusang from Tangye to Muktinath and head back all the way from Jomsom to Pokhara to Kathmandu.
Permits required for Upper Mustang Trek
Upper Mustang is a restricted area of Nepal. Along with Tims card, we need to have special permits for trekking to Upper Mustang. Each trekker needs to pay a royalty of USD 500 for restricted area permits for Upper Mustang which will be valid for the first 10 days of issued dates and needed to be issued by the department of immigration. Each extra day will result in charge of USD 50 per person. It is also necessary to have the Annapurna Conservation area Permits.
Best Time to trek Upper Mustang
All the seasons throughout the year, we can trek to Upper Mustang. However, due to extreme cold and snowfall, it’s a bit difficult to trek in December and January.
Similarly, the monsoon season is also recommended for the trekkers as it is the season of the Tiji Festival in Upper Mustang. Moreover, as other treks, March to May (spring) and October-November (Autumn) is the best time to visit Upper Mustang.
Costs required for Upper Mustang Trek
The total cost required for Upper Mustang Trek is USD 1600 where
- English Speaking professional gov. license Guide including his food, accommodation, and insurance.
- Trekking porter 2:1 (One porter for 2 guests) maximum up to 22kg (11kg per client)
- All necessary permits for the trek
- Accommodation in the mountain
- 3 times food (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner) along the way
- Sleeping bag for the trip
- Water bottle and purified water during the trek
- Duffel bag for the luggage
- 1 set of trekking pole
- Warm hat
- International flight
- Nepal visa
- Kathmandu Hotel and food
- Any kind of drinks on the mountain
- Wifi, Bucket shower, donation
- Tips for the guide
- Anything which hasn’t mentioned
Altitude sickness and its prevention
There is less chance of altitude sickness below 4000 meters altitude but it is said that “Prevention is better than cure”, so we need to be careful and take some preventive measures.
Altitude sickness is the medical condition that appears when you climb to a higher elevation of more than 2000 meters. The symptoms of Altitude sickness can be vomiting, swelling of body parts, nosebleed, drowsiness, breathing difficulty, dizziness, headache, nausea, loss of appetite, and fatigue.
To prevent altitude sickness or to cure it, we need to carry the first aid kit which has compulsory Anti-altitude sickness pills like Acetylzolamide and Diamox. Also, keep yourself dehydrated. If nothing works, you better return back downhill.
Proper gear is needed for the successful Trek. Here is the basic list of it.
- Trekking shoes
- Trekking pole
- Rucksack and waterproof rucksack covers
- Toiletries kit
- Down jacket and windproof jacket
- Good hiking shoes, thin as well as thick pair of socks.
- Light trouser, thick as well thin for multipurpose use.
- Sunglass with UV protection, Sun hat and Fleece hat.
- First aid kit
There are still other things you need to carry but the above mentioned are the important once. For details, you can contact here
Tiji (Annual Festival of Upper Mustang)
Tiji festival is an important occasion of Upper Mustang which is celebrated with the belief to mark the victory of Good over Evil on the lunar. It is an annual colorful festival that is celebrated for three days in Mustang Royal Palace. This festival is used to be celebrated at the end of the 12th month of Tibetan Calendar but now it is celebrated in the month of May i.e 3rd month. The monks of Chhode Monastery perform the religious dance every year in Lo-Manthan on Tiji Festival.
For more information about Upper Mustang Trekking, we recommend www.uppermustangtreknepal.com, which is devoted to providing factual information with all details like weather, map, itinerary, permit, a guide for Trekking Upper Mustang. For package details, you can check our deals for Upper Mustang Trek.